Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pricing Disclaimer

I just finished reading an article about book prices. It seems that tis the season for pricing books cheaply a few weeks down the road or the closer we get to the holidays, thus screwing over customer who might have bought books at a higher price when it first came out. That's like me pricing my books at $2.99 and lowering the price to $0.99 as we get closer to Christmas.

So here's my disclaimer...

First, I'm trying to make a living out of my writing. So, I'm not a fan in the $0.99 price point. Sure, it might be good to let Section 51 be a lost-leader--and I thought about it right before I published it. But, that just doesn't make sense to me or my financial goals. I certainly have a hard time wrapping my brain around authors who box up ten books and sell the whole kitchen sink at $0.99. I think it has something to do with hitting the NYT Bestseller list or some other prestigious list and reaching more readers. I've also notice that many authors who hit those lists use that to accolade to acquire an agent who normally wouldn't touch them. To each is own. Honestly, I don't care about lists or agents. I care more about making a profit.

Second, it seems like--and I could be wrong--$0.99 has been considered the bottom of the barrel. I don't see in that way. Despite what I said above, I don't see it that was. There is a logical strategy behind it, even if I don't agree with it. In fact, the same has also been said about $2.99 being the upper bound of the barrel's bottom. Even though the purpose behind my price point was to make my books somewhat affordable in an economy that's coughing its way to recovery, it won't last forever. As I look at how well each book in the series sells, there's a chance I might raise the prices to $3.99, except for the new releases. Those will always start at $2.99 and stay that way for a period of time before joining the older books. Also, and as crazy as this might sound, I like to keep an eye on the economy overall. That will always play a part in my pricing decisions. I already know I'll isolate some buyers with my decisions, but I don't want to discourage everyone who's looking for a good read. This is my business, and like many retailers, I'll treat it as such. I'd like to make a profit, too.

Third, I hope you're having a great weekend. I know I sure am. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment